Idlis are an Indian breakfast dish made from fermented rice batter. They have been around since ancient times.
There are many varieties of idli recipes available in the market. Some people prefer sweet idli while others love savory ones. If you want to try something new then you should try making moong dal idli recipes at home.
The idlis are very popular among children because they are soft and light. They are usually served with sambar (lentil soup) and chutney. They are also used as breakfast recipe
Here are some benefits of Idli recipe:
- Idli recipes are easy to make. You just need to mix rice flour with water and add salt. Then cook them in pressure cooker.
- Idli recipes are healthy. It contains high fiber, protein, iron, calcium, zinc, vitamin B1, B2, C, D, E, K, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine, folic acid, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, sodium, copper, manganese, iodine, selenium, chromium, molybdenum, and zinc.
- Idli recipes are delicious, and these recipes are economical.
- Idli recipes are quick and these recipes are nutritious and Idli recipes are versatile.
- Idli recipes are safe and this is tasty in taste and it is good for digestion.
- Idli recipes are gluten free and these are low in fat.
- Idli recipes are cholesterol free and these recipes are vegan.
Idli is a South Indian dish which consists of fermented rice batter cooked in steamer. These are generally eaten with sambar (Indian vegetable soup) and chutney. They are also used as breakfast items.
Here’s how to make idlis at home.
You will need:
- 1 cup of uncooked white rice
- 2 cups of water
- A small bowl
- Pinch of salt
- If you’re looking for a quick and easy recipe for idlis, then here’s one that will work just fine.
- You’ll need to soak the rice overnight before making the batter. Then mix together the soaked rice, salt, turmeric powder, and water.
- Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes. After that, add the oil and knead the dough into a smooth ball. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let it rest for another half hour.
- Once rested, divide the dough into small balls and flatten them out slightly. Heat a cast iron griddle or skillet over medium heat.
- Cook each ball until golden brown. Serve hot with sambar or any other accompaniments.
However, if you prefer something different, you can always top them with some fresh coconut, chopped onions, green chillies, and coriander leaves.
If you want to try making idlis at home, here’s what you need to know.
- First, you must use basmati rice.
- Second, you should soak the rice overnight before grinding it into fine flour.
- Third, you should add salt, turmeric powder, and water to the ground grains.
- Fourth, you should mix the batter well and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Finally, you should flatten the dough into small balls and cook them in a cast iron pan or a skillet over medium heat.
In fact, idlis were originally called samosas because they were cooked in a similar fashion to Indian samosas. Today, idlis are often sold in restaurants as street foods.
Tortilla Recipe for Beginners
A tortilla is flat bread made from corn or wheat flour dough. It’s usually cooked on an open flame or in a skillet.
A tortilla is flat bread that originated in Mexico. It’s usually served with refried beans, salsa, guacamole, or queso fresco. The best thing about making them yourself is that you get to control the amount of fat and calories you consume. Plus, you can use whatever type of flour you want. For example, if you prefer gluten-free options, you can substitute cornmeal or rice flour instead of regular flour.
When I was growing up, we always had tortillas around because my mom would make them often. She used to say that she learned how to make them from her grandmother who lived in Mexico. My mom has been making them ever since. She makes them every Sunday morning. We love eating them with breakfast.
When I asked my mom what kind of flour she uses to make her tortillas, she told me that she uses a combination of wheat flour and corn flour. She said that she mixes the two flours together and adds a little bit of salt. Then, she adds water to the mixture until it becomes a dough. After that, she kneads the dough until it gets soft and pliable. Once the dough is ready, she rolls it out using a rolling pin. She lets the rolled out dough rest for at least 15-20 minutes before frying it.
Preparation method for making tortilla:
- To make a tortilla, first mix together the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder) with water until well combined.
- Then add the wet ingredients (milk, eggs, oil).
- Mix everything together until smooth. You should end up with a thick batter. If not, add more milk or egg.
- Let the batter rest for at least 15 minutes before cooking. Heat a cast iron pan over medium heat.
- Pour some oil into the pan and wait until it starts smoking. Add half of the batter to the hot pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, then flip the tortilla and cook for another minute. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the other side. Serve warm.
When I was growing up, I remember watching my mom make tortillas. She would take a piece of paper towel and fold it in half. Then, she would place the folded paper towel inside a bowl. Next, she would put a few drops of vegetable oil inside the bowl. Finally, she would sprinkle some salt on top of the oil. She would then shake the bowl vigorously to distribute the oil evenly throughout the paper towel.